Monday, August 28, 2006

Wounded in Action

My eye is horribly red...I think Parmesan cheese is the chief irritant. I know I'll enjoy this story later because it really was a ridiculous scene, but right now my eye hurts too much to laugh. I made a Caesar salad for dinner tonight and took a giant Costco-size bottle of ready-made dressing out of the fridge. Someone - I can't name names, but the chief suspect is a blue-eyed twenty year old male - someone had recently used the same dressing and returned the bottle to the refrigerator with the cap improperly secured. Oblivious, I held the bottle in both hands, at shoulder height and shook vigorously. What happened - I've never seen anything like it in my life. Well, I didn't actually see it because my eyes were full of Caesar dressing. And the front of my dress. And the floor. The only thing that wasn't covered with Caesar dressing was my salad.

The language coming out of my kitchen these days is simply disgusting.

10 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I could say 'hard cheese' (mainly because I'm first in the comments box) - but that would be cruel and unfeeling and I recently had a friend who suffered 'Ketchup eye'. She had to go and be 'irrigated' at the local 'minor injuries' clinic. This MI unit was set up to take some of the load off the main (only) A and E in the area. Unfortunately they only have a few plasters (bandaids?) and a tap!

Try a patch - it works for Johnny Depp!

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Well, not quite as bad as a friend's encounter with a spitting cobra - and yes, they really do aim for the eyes - in her chicken coop, but pretty awful nonetheless.

And by the way, all my kids seem to have a similar problem with caps till they move out. Do you think it's hardwired into their brains?

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that'll learn you to shop in costco . . .

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't take any notice of him Susan.
Skint's only jealous because I've got an inside loo (or was that a downstairs loo?) and he probably don't know what Caesar salad is anyway - bein' skint an' all!!

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they do that here, too. Their other crimes are putting empty packets back into the freezer (why?) and regarding graters and saucepans as not part of the 'washing up package'.

My sympathies, Susan - although I must admit I'm laughing a bit because of your post title.

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm getting worried now, are you still Caesared, or maybe just wearing patches on both eyes??

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Oh yes, Clare - empty packets, bottles with one sip of juice left at the bottom, pickle jars with brine and no pickles ... I've given up trying to comprehend.

Susan, are you OK? You haven't been posting.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I'm fine. Thank you Minx, Lee, and Clare. I walked around with something (cheese? onion?) in my eye for a couple of days though. I couldn't seem to wash it out. Much better now though, so I can start enjoying the story! That's the positive side of most bad experiences - the worse they are (this was minor, of course) the more fun they become in retrospect.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Hope you are feeling better now, Susan.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Much better, thank you Marie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home