Thursday, August 03, 2006

"These are the days of our lives..."

Peter and I went out for breakfast the other morning after a visit to his chiropractor. We had an unhealthy meal of bacon, sausages, eggs, hashed brown potatoes and toast. Peter took a forkful of the slightly-unhealthier-than usual hashbrowns and said "Mmm, this grease tastes so good!" (We did make up for it with a healthy supper.)

We often eat breakfast at this same restaurant and we were 'adopted' by a little waitress there. I don't know what she sees in us, but she's a sweet girl, divorced and raising two children. On our latest visit we got a little more than we had bargained for. On previous visits we'd heard about her impending move and her excitement about building a new life with her boyfriend. This time, though, she sat down on the bench beside me and announced "G. left me!" Then she burst into tears. Poor girl. So there I was, sitting in the restaurant, hugging our waitress. She had a multitude of problems and Peter and I volunteered to help a little, so a couple of days later we went over to her home with our minivan and an open trailer attached. We loaded various small household items into the trailer and critters into the back of the van. There was one giant cage with two rabbits, two smaller cages each holding a rabbit, another cage with hamsters running on a little exercise wheel and a large cage holding a cockatiel. Once everything was loaded there was room left in the van for two people. Unfortunately, we had three people because we also had to transport one very sweet little girl. I didn't want the wee girl to be any more uncomfortable than necessary so she got the seat and seatbelt and I got to place one half of my bottom on the seat and kind of 'float' through traffic for what felt like a very long thirty-minute drive. There's not much more to the story than that, but it's an example of how you never know where a day might take you, possibly even to a surprise trip on Noah's Ark!

5 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think that this just shows that human kindness still prevails Susan! You deserve all the 'grease' you want!

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Lee said...

And I can second that about kindness. Thanks so much for your kind encouragement over at my blogs. You don't know how much it helps. So much of the time we seem to write into silence...

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And i third it! Both of you. There's many who would have just turned the other way.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

So glad you posted this story, Susan. It is a lovely story, beautifully told: see how everyone agrees!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I wondered whether I should post it, actually; I was concerned that I might say something which would cause embarrassment. I was careful not to use names, though, and I really don't expect anyone around Victoria to see this. Thank you all for the kind comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home